Pittsburgh Employment Law Attorney for Employers
A company’s employees are among its most valuable assets, so the decisions a business makes around hiring and employment directly affect its success. Larger corporations have human resources departments to manage these issues. Most employers, however, are smaller or mid-sized businesses for which it is not practical to maintain a human resources department. These employers are faced with many of the same employment law issues as larger companies, and they deserve the same high-quality legal support.
Attorney Kim Kisner has concentrated her Pittsburgh legal practice in the area of employment law for over 20 years. Unlike many employment law attorneys, she devotes her employment law practice exclusively to the representation of employers, including small and mid-sized businesses.
Proactive Guidance for Employment Law Issues and Strategic Defense in State and Federal Litigation
Kim Kisner works with employers in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, and throughout Western Pennsylvania. She offers clients customized legal guidance to prevent employment disputes and litigation. Should the need for litigation arise, she is a skilled advocate with extensive experience in federal court in the Western District of Pennsylvania as well as Pennsylvania state courts.
Kim offers a broad spectrum of employment law services for employers, including:
Employment Contracts and Agreements
Kim assists businesses in the negotiation, drafting, and enforcement of employment contracts and agreements such as:
- Independent contractor agreements
- Employment agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Non-solicitation agreements
- Non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements (NDA)
- Severance agreements
Litigating employment disputes is costly and distracts from the operation of a business. The best way to avoid needless litigation is to ensure best practices are in place before a legal issue arises. Kim Kisner conducts comprehensive employment audits to uncover and resolve problems before litigation results. Employment audits include:
- Review of internal human resources policies
- Review of written employment materials and handbooks
- Review of current practices to ensure compliance with current state and federal law
Employment Law Counsel
Whether your business is just starting out, expanding, or established, Kim offers experienced guidance for any employment law need, including:
- Drafting job descriptions
- Preparation of employment policies and handbooks
- Conducting background checks and screening of employees
- Employee training
- Temporary employees and independent contractor issues
- Labor relations
- Employee performance evaluations
- Allegations of disability, sex, age, religion, national origin, or racial discrimination or harassment
before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC), or City of Pittsburgh’s Commission on Human Relations (HRC)
- American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) advice and counsel
- Protection of proprietary information and trade secrets
- Wage and hour compliance
- Termination, layoffs, and downsizing
- Worker’s compensation
- Unemployment compensation hearings and audits
- Department of Labor audits
- Transitioning independent contractors to employees
The best way to establish organizational expectations is to train employees on appropriate conduct. Kim Kisner is available for on-site trainings customized to the needs of your business, addressing issues such as sexual harassment, disability accommodation, and wage and hour compliance. Being proactive on these and other issues not only helps to prevent problematic behavior, but can protect your business in court if a dispute around these issues should arise.
Planning, training, and preparation are the best way to avoid employment litigation, but even the best-prepared employer may face litigation in state or federal court. Kim Kisner has been defending employers in state and federal court in Western Pennsylvania for over two decades. Her experience and commitment to employer defense has made her sought after as local counsel for out-of-state attorneys and clients who need representation in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Skilled Representation from an Experienced Pittsburgh Employment Attorney
Employment issues are governed by a number of ever-evolving state, federal, and local laws including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Act (PHRA)
- Pennsylvania Wage Payment and Collection Law
- Pittsburgh Commission on Human Relations
Kim Kisner’s focus on employment law and employer defense means that she stays up-to-date on changes in the complex laws that affect her clients. Her depth of knowledge is only one of the reasons clients seek her out and recommend her services to others; Kim also develops strong working relationships with her clients, allowing her to anticipate their needs and offer personalized service.
If you have questions about Pennsylvania or federal employment law for employers, please contact Kim Kisner to schedule a consultation.